There are many rewards to exercising on a regular basis: it increases energy, keeps you in shape and gives you a sense of accomplishment. It can, however, become boring after a while if you don’t change your routine. If you are finding that you are getting tired of the same old workout day after day, it may be time to switch things up a bit.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- One of the best ways to keep your workout fresh is to try something new. If you normally focus on the weights or machines, sign up for a class. Or, if you normally just do classes, try hitting the weights. Yoga and pilates are great ways to increase your flexibility and endurance. Keeping it varied is the key not only to keeping things interesting, it also improves the quality of your workouts, and can get you past that plateau.
- Switch up your playlist. Listening to music can go a long way to keeping you motivated, but the same old tunes can get tired. Try creating a new playlist, with more energy or a different genre of music altogether.
- Gamify your workout. There are more and more fitness apps out there that use gamification to make your workout more challenging and fun, as well as adding the element of competition. From leveling up video game style to outrunning zombies, there are some great apps to help make working out more fun.
- Get social. The social networking craze has touched just about everything, and fitness is no exception. Joining a social community focused on fitness can help renew your interest and motivation. Getting support is a big factor in fitness success, and you can find plenty of support in an online community, especially helpful if you are not getting it at home.
- Bring a friend. Next time you head to the gym, bring a pal. Having some company during your workout can make it more fun, competitive and keep you motivated.
- Challenge yourself. If you have become bored, it may be because your workout has gotten too easy. If your workout has turned into something you can do on “autopilot” then it may be becoming less effective and less interesting. Now is the time to up your reps, weights or start working different muscle groups. A personal trainer can help you put together a new workout that challenges you and gives you results.
These are just a few ways that you can breathe life back into a boring workout routine. Don’t forget to take care of yourself in the process. Stay hydrated, eat nutritious foods and snacks, go get a massage, and be sure to consult your doctor before trying a new workout. Now go make working out fun again!